The Austin-Healey car brand was born in 1952 as a result of the collaboration between BMC and Donald Healey. In the same year, the British Motor Company was also born because of the merger of Austin and Morris. Austin and Donald Healey wanted to offer a sports car specifically for the North American sports car market. Donald Healey had won the Monte Carlo Rally in Invicta in 1931 and made a name for himself as a designer of Triumph and Riley sports cars. After the Second World War, he had established his own car factory, where cars were produced for Tickford and Duncan, for example. So the conditions for designing a successful sports car were already there.
In 1952, the first sports car designed by Austin and Healey was presented at the London Motor Show. Donald Healey’s son Geoffrey Healey and Barrie Bilbie were especially responsible for the developing of the car. Gerry Coker helped with the design. The engine was an Austin straight four with two carburetors that pushed the sports car to a top speed of 100 mph. The car was initially named Healey Hundred, which was soon updated to Austin-Healey 100. The car was constantly developed and its power readings and driving characteristics improved.
This Austin-Healey 100 in question was manufactured in 1954 and was sold as new in the United States. The car’s title from Los Angeles, California is preserved, and the car has been owned since 1956 by Frank Andrina, who lived in Hollywood and known from the film and animation industry. In 1991 the car was bought to Finland in project condition by the current and only owner of the car in Finland, E. Kuusela.
The car’s current owner has thoroughly restored the car with classic car professionals. The body of the car was water blasted and restored by professionals. Axles, support arms and other chassis parts have been sand blasted and painted and all wearing parts of the brakes and chassis including bushings and rubbers have all been renewed. The body and chassis of the car have been painted with the Austin Healey’s metallic Light Blue and Old English White shades and the end result is really high quality.
The car’s matching numbers engine has been completely restored and rebuilt with new parts. The original block, cylinder head and crankshaft have been machined and the block piped with new liners. The engine runs and works excellently and the refurbished SU carburetors are excellently adjusted.
The interior of the car has been completely renewed with original materials and shades of blue. The gauges, switches and electricity have all been refurbished.
The original chrome bumpers and moldings have been re-chromed. The rims are new and like the original with 60 spokes with the latest Firestone classic tires.
Austin-Healey is registered as a historic vehicle and inspected in May 2023. Mot/Tüv Inspection is valid until 06/2027.
The car is located in Vihtijärvi, 50 minutes from Helsinki-Vantaa airport. Views by appointment only.