The Austin-Healey car brand was born in 1952 as a result of the collaboration between BMC and Donald Healey. In the same year, the British Motor Company was also born as a result of the merger of Austin and Morris. Austin and Donald Healey wanted to offer a sports car specifically for the North American market. Donald Healey had won the Monte Carlo Rally with Invicta in 1931 and made a name for himself as a designer of Triumph and Riley sports cars. After the Second World War, he had established his own car factory, where cars were produced for Tickford and Duncan, for example. The conditions for designing a successful sports car were there.
In 1952, the first sports car designed by Austin and Healey was presented at the London Motor Show. Donald Healey’s son Geoffrey Healey and Barrie Bilbie were especially responsible for the the new sports car. Gerry Coker helped with the design. The engine was an Austin straight four with two carburetors that pushed the sports car to a top speed of 100 mph. The car was initially named Healey Hundred, which was soon updated to Austin-Healey 100. After its release, the car was constantly developed and its power readings and driving characteristics improved.
In 1956, Austin-Healey received a new, six-cylinder, 2600cc engine. The body of the car grew in length and the look of the front changed with a smaller grille. The name of the model became 100–6.
The Austin-Healey 3000 was introduced in 1959. The name of the model came from the increased displacement of the engine. The car was an immediate success and Pat Moss won the Liege-Rome-Liege rally with the car in 1960. In 1964, Finns Rauno Aaltonen and Tony Ambrose won the 1961 Austin Healey in the Spa-Sofia-Liege rally of more than 5,500 kilometers, 90 hours continuous, with a superior , more than half an hour ahead of Swedish Erik Carlsson. Austin–Healey’s role in motorsport history is still undeniable.
The Austin-Healey 3000 MKII was introduced in May 1961 and was available for the 1962 market. The model was available as a two-seater BJ7 and a 2+2-seater BT7, both of which were equipped with a 2.9-liter inline six engine and three SU HS4 carburettors.
This ‘1962 BT7 left the factory on January 23, 1962 and was sold as new in Los Angeles, USA. The car’s factory equipment includes, for example, an overdrive, a heating device, wire wheels, an adjustable steering column and a laminated windshield.
Since then, the car ended up in Central Europe. The car was restored in the 2010s in Germany and spent time in Austria and Belgium. We brought the car to Finland in December 2023.
The Healey has been restored in spirit of a period correct racing car and has been fitted with the original hardtop and side windows, an aluminum bonnet with cooling fins and additional lights in front. The original, good condition front bumper is also preserved.
The body is painted in Healey’s Colorado red shade and the hardtop in old English white – Just like Rauno Aaltonen’s and Pat Moss’ racing Healeys. The body is finished with period correct racing livery tapes.
The interior is upholstered in black leather with red cedar strips. The thick racing steering wheel is covered in leather.
The engine is the car’s original 2.9-liter straight engine with three HS4 carburetors. The ignition has been updated to an electric one and the fuel pump to a more efficient model. The gearbox is the original four-speed equipped with an electronic overdrive. The engine and gearbox work excellently, and the performance exhaust system accentuates the beautiful exhaust sounds.
Austin-Healey will be sold with fresh service made in Grips Garage. The car comes with history and maintenance documents, British Motor industry COA, owner’s manuals, some A-H literature, and the factory repair manual.
Registered in Belgium, inspection valid 02/2027.
Beatiful and fast, road leagal racer spec Healey ready to enjoy.
The car is located in Vantaa, Finland – 25 minutes from Helsinki–Vantaa Airport. Views by appointment.
Worldwide shipping with generous rates.