In March 1961, Jaguar presented a sports car at the Geneva Motor Show, which changed the automotive world forever. The new E-Type (XK-E in the US) was based on the Jaguar D-Type racing car that had won Le Mans three years consecutively from 1955 to 1957. The advanced sports car grand tourer was built on a monocoque body and an engine subframe, thanks to which it only weighed a little over 1300 kilograms. The modern sports car was equipped with disc brakes and independent front and rear suspension. Designed for street use, the Jaguar E-type was the successor to the Jaguar XK 150, whose racing car version, the C-Type, was also succeed at Le Mans.
The car became an immediate success and the annual production was filled with order books in no time. Enzo Ferrari titled the E-Type the most beautiful car in the world and the car was produced for three model series until 1974. However, only 15,422 cars of the first series Fixed Head Coupes were produced between 1961 and 1968.
This 1-series Jaguar E-Type Fixed-head coupé was manufactured on February 12, 1963. Two weeks later, the car was delivered to the official Jaguar dealer in New York and sold to its first owner, W.Carool. The first owner kept the car until 1967, when the car was bought by John Pitts from Los Angeles. The many of registration papers and some receipts as well as other documents have remained since the 1960s. According to the documents, the second owner, John Pitts, kept the car until at least 1977.
The E-Type was brought from California to Finland by Tom Kormas of the Nostalgia Classics in 1989. The car was in project condition and was bought by Orvo Grönroos from Karjaa on August 4, 1989. Grönroos was a Sisu-Auto mechanic by profession and he started to restore the Jaguar. The car was completely dismantled to the parts and the body was thoroughly restored, from the beginning to the metal surface. All the pieces, joints and suspension parts of the E-Type chassis were renewed.
The original 1964 model year 4.2 liter Jaguar E-Type engine that came with the car was restored with completely new parts, as was the four-speed manual transmission.
The car was kept in a warm garage at Grönroos and its restoration continued until the 2010s, when the owner gave up the unfinished car due to Mr. Grönroos high age. Finnish Triangle Motor Company bought a car that was almost ready, but needed finishing. The car was finally registered in 2018, when S. Tikkanen from Raasepori, Finland bought the car.
During Tikkanen, the restoration of the car was finally completed. The interior was upholstered by E. Skutknabb in original shapes and with burgundy leather. The roof upholstery was also completely renewed. Carpets and other upholstery materials were ordered from John Skinner. An important detail of the first three years of the E-Type, the original aluminum dashboard is still in excellent condition.
The car has practically only been driven in the 26 years between 1963 and 1989. There is a significant amount of original documentation about the car’s history and the car has Jaguar’s COA. The restoration is also well documented.
In recent years, the car has been enjoyed occasionally. The car has been restored to a high standard and is in stunning condition both inside and outside.
The car’s gearbox is accurate and the synchros are like new. The engine purrs smoothly and the car is effortless and great to drive.
The car will be sold freshly serviced and ready to enjoy.
Car Located in Vantaa, 30 minutes from Helsinki-Vantaa airport. Presentations by agreement.
Worldwide shipping with generous rates.