In early 50’s Sir John Black, who worked as a chairman of Standard-Triumph, decided that the Triumph would need a proper open sports car to compete with Morgan that Triumph was tried to buy. Sir Black gave a tight budget for Triumph and Triumph used existing chassis, suspension and inexpensive bodywork to built the first concept car of TR series Triumph. Target was to reach at least 90 mph top speed.
Triumph TR1 (20TS) was introduced in London Motorshow in 1952. As a result the 20 TS deservedly garnered praise about the design of front of the car and potentiality to be fast sports car. The interior of the car and the design of the rear, on the other hand, require a lot of development work. Triumph hired the British Racing Motors test driver Ken Richardson to test drive and develop the car further. The beginning of one of Great Britain’s greatest sports car stories was born.
The TR2 was introduced in 1953 Geneva Motorshown and followed by TR3 in 1955 and TR3A with new 2.2 litre four cylinder engine and disc brakes in 1957. In 1961 totally new designed TR4 by Giovanni Michelotti was introduced and 1965 it was upgraded with independent rear suspension.
In 1967 the TR -series got one of its greatest improvements when it finally got the 2.5 liter inline six engine. TR4 bodied car was offered for US market with two Stromberg carburettors and for other markets there was available TR5 with Lucas fuel injection. Again the next model was developed further based on the earlier ones. In 1968 Karmann redesigned the front end and rear end of the Michelotti’s TR body and the last model based to the very first TR-series, Triumph TR6 was born.
This car in question is the ninth Triumph TR6 ever produced and possibly the oldest surviving left-hand drive Triumph TR6. The car was first registered on June 30, 1969. The car is a rare export model designed for the European market and the car was sold new in Switzerland. The car has the original, only 1969 model year accessories, such as the model year correct steering wheel and Rostyle capsules. The car currently has wire-wheels with the new period correct tires. The car’s equipment also includes a heating device and overdrive that both work perfectly.
TR6 was brought to Finland in 2001. The first owner of the car in Finland was L. Tikkanen until 2007. The Triumph has been thoroughly restored during the ownership period of the first Finnish owner, respecting the originality. Based on the documents, the car’s body has been completely dismantled and the restoration has included a thorough renovation of the car’s technology, body and interior. The car left the factory in British Racing Green with a brown interior. However, Tikkanen did not like the green shade and painted the car body in Vanden Plas metallic orange shade during the body restoration. The upholstery has been renewed with the original materials in black.
After the first Finnish owner passed away, the car passed through the estate to the British car enthusiast S. Kokkonen in 2013. Two years later, the car was bought by the current owner, A. Pehkonen. Over the past few years, the car has been comprehensively refurbished and serviced. The engine injectors have been serviced and the injection feed pump renewed. The wearing parts of the suspension and brakes have been renewed. The overdrive has been restored and the ignition parts as well as the radiator hoses and electric fan have been renewed. The car’s black cloth roof has been renewed.
The car’s 150-horsepower engine is really perky with a superb throttle response and the difference to the milder TR6s of later models is significant. The engine pulls excellently and the gearbox, including the electric overdrive, works properly and precisely.
The body and paintwork of the car are in really good and impressive condition.
The Triumph is registered as a historic vehicle. The car’s inspection is valid until 06/2025 and the car is ready to be enjoyed.
The car is located in Vantaa, 25 minutes from Helsinki-Vantaa Airport. Views by appointment.
Worldwide shipping with generous rates.